Manuel de Buenaga
Office: 34 - Building C
Universidad Europea: http://www.esp.uem.es/buenaga
Google Académico: http://scholar.google.es/citations?user=oQXy37EAAAAJ&hl=es
About: short C.V.
Manuel de Buenaga is Professor of Computer Science at Universidad Europea de Madrid and coordinator of the Intelligent Systems Research Group. Previously he was assistant professor at Universidad Complutense de Madrid in the Department of Computer Systems and Programming. He holds a PhD in Physical Sciences from the UCM (1996), specializing in Computer Systems and Computer Science.
His research is focused on Intelligent Systems, with specialization in the fields of language technologies and automatic analysis of text content (operations such as information retrieval, categorization, generation of abstracts), with use of ontologies, user modeling, and specific elements of mobile devices (e.g. context-based) on Big Data architectures. These systems allow the implementation of advanced functions in Internet Access and Electronic Commerce. He has a current center of interest and significant experience in the use and evaluation of this research and technologies in health settings.
He is the author of more than ninety presentations in congresses and specialized publications, national and international, highlighting for its impact and interdisciplinarity Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Sensors, Computers & Education and ACM Transactions on Information Systems. He has directed seven doctoral theses related to the previous research lines. He is a member of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) and of the Spanish Society of Natural Language Processing. He has lectured and participated in the design and development of several postgraduate and doctoral courses at various universities.
He has participated as a researcher and coordinator in more than twenty R&D projects, in consortiums formed by several universities, software development companies such as Gesfor , Bitext , Answare Tech and ISOCO, and clients or end users such as Agencia Efe ABC and Hospital de Fuenlabrada, and other institutions in the European field such as the Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale (Pisa, Italy), University of Sheffield (Sheffield, UK) and Telefónica Research and Development (Spain). In the financing of these projects, different entities such as the Ministry of Education and Science, the Ministry of Industry, the Community of Madrid and the European Commission have participated through different R&D programs.
· Natural language processing systems: automatic generation of abstracts, automatic categorization of documents, disambiguation of terms
· Applications based on information retrieval, multilingualism, automatic response systems to questions, information portals; specialized search engines, user modeling, human-machine interaction, advanced user interface design, ubiquitous systems
· Big Data architectures and applications in services and use cases: intelligent health systems, biomedical information systems, internet access security, education systems, news servicesistemas de análisis del lenguaje natural: generación automática de resúmenes, categorización automática de documentos, desambiguación de términos
· IPHEALTH: Intelligent Platform based on Open, Linked and Big Data for decision making and learning in the field of Health ( www.esp.uem.es/ipHealth )
· MAVIR Improving Access and Visibility of Multilingual Network Information in the Community of Madrid ( www.mavir.net ).
· NAVIGA Adaptable Platform for Elderly people and persons with disabilities to access the Information Society ( www.euronaviga.com )
· Virtual Cloud Carer services platform for dependent people and their cloud computing environment ( www.virtualcloudcarer.com )
Former Ph.D. students:
· L.Alfonso Ureña López: Resolution of the Lexical Ambiguity in Automatic Classification of Documents (October 2000)
· Manuel Maña López: Automatic Generation of Text Abstracts Adapted to User Information Needs (November 2003)
· José María Gómez: Integration of lexical databases and training collections in automatic categorization of documents (March 2005)
· Fernando Aparicio Galisteo: Intelligent System for Conception Extraction and Information Integration applied to Learning in Biomedicine (November 2012)
· Rafael Muñoz Gil : Intelligent platform for information integration and recommendation in the biomedical and tourism domains (September 2015).
· Database Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Concurrent Programming, and Professional Deontology: in the Computer Engineering degree. Course syllabus information
· Practicum and Information Processing: in doctoral programs. Information of the Doctoral Program in Control Engineering and Intelligent Systems applied in Health and Environment
· Access to the UEM virtual campus: https://campusvirtual.uem.es
Last update: January 2017